Monday, November 4, 2013

The Legend of Jerkwater Hollow



A chilly 32 degrees F, but If it ain’t raining or iced over, I’m riding to breakfast on Sunday morning. I left plenty of room for the other degenerates I eat with, but as you can see, the bunch of chicken shits couldn’t man up and ride. I chalk it up to my superior mental toughness, and steely resolve in the face of adversity. (tall windshield, Firstgear® heated vest and gloves)

But, I was really freaked out on this first Sunday after Halloween. I snapped a picture of my bike on what appeared to be an empty Jerkwater Main Street. However, when I checked my phone, a mysterious, blue apparition showed up in the form of a ‘51 Chevy pickup. Could it be the spectral image of Jerkwater's ghoulish past?

Old folks around here tell the tale of Clem Bodine, who was decapitated in a tragic combine accident during the fall harvest of November, 1951. The story goes that Clem had just bought a brand new Cheverolet pickup that very afternoon. After the blood and bone fragments were cleaned off the thresher and the funeral was over, Clem's grieving widow could never bring herself to sell the truck. It has sat in the old Bodine barn ever since. According to Jerkwater Hollow legend, every November the headless ghost of Clem Bodine climbs into the old truck and cruises the back roads and small towns of Jerkwater County looking for soul food and a place to eat....and his head.


I still managed to choke down a hearty breakfast and several cups of coffee. Takes more than some paranormal shit to kill my appetite.

3 comments:

  1. Spooky times at Jerkwater High, Clem's obviously been sneaking back to put some elbow grease into the old girl, and he's even added some foglights . . . good to see you guys have more than just white cars in town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snazzy Suzuki Sunday Shot!
    Glad you lived to tell the tale!
    Adios

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as the Breakfast and Java were good to go, the hell with the rest of the crew and how could you even see the Blue Beast with the Mighty Susuki Steed holding down the Semi-Frigid Asphalt?

    ReplyDelete